I have a question for you. On a scale of 1 to 10 where would you rate your ‘happiness’ right now? Are you doing what makes you happy?
Many of you may say that recent world events have meant that barriers have been put in place stopping you from being where you want to be on the happiness scale.
But, life is for many people full of barriers. If you let these barriers hold you back then you aren’t living your life to the full.
I was recently invited to the Happy Life Habits Inspiration podcast. It’s a great podcast that shares inspiring stories from everyday people who are all in fact ‘wonder women’. It’s a great podcast to listen to if you need some inspiration, if you feel like life is getting you down or you aren’t getting anywhere, in your role at work or at home.
I came on to the podcast as me. I didn’t have any makeup on, I hadn’t ‘done’ my hair as such. I wasn’t dressed in fancy clothes. I came on as me so people on the podcast can see the real me.
On the podcast, I shared my story of how it’s possible to smash down barriers that stop you from doing what you want to do. How life’s challenges and being told NO shouldn’t stop you from getting to where you want to in life.
We talked about lots of different things.
- Not fitting in
- Overcoming unconscious bias in the workplace
- How health concerns should not hold you back
- Following your dreams no matter what age you are. I followed mine aged 50, age is just a number right?
- How to balance the good and the not-so-good days in life and importantly acknowledging the not-so-good days.
- What makes me happy: chocolate, champagne, and chips! But, also seeing how the children and adults I work with find the confidence inside of them that they didn’t know they had.
- What led me to follow my dreams to become a Celebrant and Toastmaster
- How as a Magistrate I appreciate even more that everyone has their own story that can lead them down the wrong path
We also talk about my daily habits to keep me happy, smiling is one of them, as well as my favourite book: Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. Have you read this book? If not, it’s all about a seagull who is trying to learn about life, it’s ups and downs and challenges through them.
I wanted my story on the Happy Life Inspiration podcast to be one that gives you the encouragement to do what makes you happy. To show you that no matter what barriers are placed in front of you (yes I’ve had my fair share), you can smash through these, in your own way. Dare to dream and dare to be different and not do what others expect you to.
You can watch the podcast here